The Minnesota Climate Adaptation Awards, presented annually since 2014, celebrate exceptional achievements in leadership, education, research, policies, and practices that improve resilience or climate justice through the development, advancement, or implementation of climate adaptation strategies. We know that celebrating success and showcasing the actions and leadership of our peers can help to accelerate adaptation across Minnesota, and beyond. Past recipients have developed cutting-edge adaptation plans for their communities, supported project-specific implementation of adaptation investments, or served as leaders championing adaptation across their organizations.
Know someone leading the way on climate adaptation in your community? Please consider nominating them for a MCAP Climate Adaptation Award.
Nominations for the 2022 MCAP Awards are now open!
We are currently seeking nominations for the following award categories:
- Individual Adaptation Award - Any individual who has offered significant leadership, provided education, developed or implemented strategies, conducted research, or otherwise made an impact in the field of climate adaptation in Minnesota. Leaders can be either emerging or established, with depth in one focus area or across a breadth of audiences or disciplines.
- Collaborative Adaptation Award - Any collection of individuals, organizations or businesses that have worked together to achieve significant progress in climate adaptation or have implemented practices or projects that advance climate adaptation in Minnesota.
- Organization Adaptation Award - Any non-profit, community of faith, youth group, neighborhood association, local government unit, state or federal agency, tribal nation, educational institution, or similar entity that has achieved significant progress or implemented practices that advance climate adaptation in Minnesota.
- Business Adaptation Award - Any private sector, for-profit business or company of any size that has implemented significant practices, programs, projects, or policies to advance climate adaptation across its lines of business and in Minnesota communities.
- Climate Communication Award - Any individual, organization, community group, or collection of individuals with a track record of successful climate change- and adaptation-related communication and engagement. This may include using traditional media, social media, informal educational events, community convenings and engagement, or other creative communication and approaches to engage, inspire and/or educate Minnesotans about climate change, its local impacts, and adaptation strategies.
Nominations should describe the scope and impact of the nominee's efforts or accomplishments in climate adaptation, including, as applicable:
- Incorporation of adaptation principles (see examples here or here);
- Benefit to Minnesota's communities, geographic regions, resources, or economic sectors including any focus on climate justice for vulnerable or traditionally under-served populations;
- Excellence within nominee's field and/or within climate adaptation in general; and
- Demonstration of outstanding leadership qualities.
Deadline: November 1, 2021, 5PM Central
Award recipients will be notified in December 2021 and presented with honors in early 2022.