FEMA provides federal funds for the Building Resilient Infrastructures and Communities (BRIC) grant program to states, local communities, tribes and territories for mitigation activities. BRIC is a FEMA annual hazard mitigation program. Section 203 of the Robert T. Stafford Disaster Relief and Emergency Assistance Act (Stafford Act) authorizes this program. The priorities are to:
- Incentivize natural hazard risk reduction activities that mitigate risk to public infrastructure
- Prioritize benefits to disadvantaged communities
- Mitigate risk to one or more community lifelines
- Incorporate nature-based solutions
- Enhance climate resilience and adaptation
- Increase funding to applicants that facilitate the adoption and enforcement of the latest published editions of building codes
The Fiscal Year 2021 (FY21) BRIC Notice of Funding Opportunity can be accessed at Grants.gov. Before applying for the grant, FEMA encourages reviewing the detailed program information and other grant application and administration requirements.