Bi-weekly from November 4, 2021 to February 17, 2022
Climate change is one of the most significant challenges of the 21st century. This webinar series, sponsored jointly by NOAA’s Adaptation Sciences Program, WUCA, WRF, and EPA, will explore practical lessons and leading practices focused on steps to mainstreaming climate science and adaptation considerations into building for climate resilience. Having worked on climate adaptation for over a decade, water utilities have learned many lessons and developed approaches to share with peer sectors seeking to learn and take steps to adapt now. Expanding the exchange of knowledge across communities will also foster more effective adaptation and improve community resilience.
Specific topics for these webinars will include:
- Leading Practices in Climate Adaptation: highlights a range of actions that organizations can implement for climate adaptation that have been ground-tested by WUCA agencies.
- Climate Adaptation Engineering Case Studies: discusses adaptation opportunities in infrastructure design and project delivery processes and provides case studies of recent water infrastructure projects.
- Business Function Mapping: provides a framework-oriented process to mainstream climate change considerations within organizations.
- Equity and Environmental Justice Considerations in Climate Adaptation: highlights how equity can influence community goals and build partnerships with lessons learned and solutions to build equity while adapting to climate change
- Green Stormwater Infrastructure: describes community experiences in deciding to use green stormwater infrastructure, monetizing and quantifying benefits, developing critical stakeholder partnerships, and using available tools to evaluate options to include in adaptation plans.
- Greenhouse Gas and Energy: provides valuable information and inspiration for greenhouse gas mitigation or sewage thermal energy use projects from concept to implementation.
- Climate Warming and Impacts to Staff and Assets: analyzes the impact of extreme temperature events on personnel and critical water utility physical infrastructure assets.
- Federal and Other Funding for Adaptation: reviews available resources for financial support of adaptation projects, improving understanding of successful strategies and connecting the audience with community-based and sector-focused funding.
The goal of these webinars is to help us, adaptation practitioners, advance our thinking about effective approaches by learning from others what has worked (or not worked). Beyond sharing examples from the water sector, these webinars will foster a multi-sectoral dialogue, sharing practical resources and tools for planning.